Logo SR Alpha 2017

GI flicker for animation

More
10 years 4 days ago #5989 by rich0550
I am having lots of GI flicker with animation with some moving objects.. I think I used preset low or medium, with animation preset.

Should I just go with brute for for first pass and nothing for second pass or?

Also does Vray 3.0 make reducing GI flicker easier?

Also how about backburner renders, GI flicker is even worse for multiple machines correct?

Thanks Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #6375 by YoyoGraphics
In my opinion, SR's "Animation" setting should not be available to use with any setting other than Brute Force/Brute Force. I recently wasted a lot of money on a render farm when I sent a job to them that had SR set for Animation, with Brute Force/LC with on "Very Good" quality. Flickers all over the place.

More
9 years 10 months ago #6377 by subburb
Hello, sorry to read that...

In fact, it's hard with Vray to get a flicker free anim...
Solidrocks is here to help managing the process, but there is nothing magical, unfortunately...

btw, i'm suprised you get hugly results in Bruteforce+LC...
i've rendered several different anims in this mode, and they worked pretty fine..

Perhaps can you send me the problematic scene to have a look on it and try to improve SR ??
*Of course it'll remain private.

i'm preparing a tuto video with very simple method to separate static and moving things in 2 passes.
static will be rendered in flythrough mode to make it flicker free, then the animated parts are rendered in separated pass, using the vraysphere gizmo.

The tip is the composite in After effects. I've worked hard to find it, but it's ok now !

we can chat around this if you need, with pleasure.

I now have to help you to gain back your money spended on renderfarm ;)

More
9 years 10 months ago #6408 by YoyoGraphics
Well the scene in question was rather huge. It was a surface mine with house-sized dumptrucks and an even bigger excavator in it, all moving around at night and all equipped with multiple IES lights. Also, I don't know if this makes a difference, but the landscape object got one of those "scene too large" warning messages every time I rendered.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #6409 by subburb
hmmm well "scene too large" is not good..

it happens very rarely, in fact..
perhaps have you an incorrect unit setup ? if you're in units system millimeters and your scene is kilometers wide, then Vray can be doomed when firing rays..

or perhaps there's ome null or any object or spline forgotten very far..

in this case, you can select objects wich represent your scene to your eyes, then "save selected", then import them in a fresh scene, to see if the message is removed.

also some imported objects with different units can have a huge bouding box and needs a reset xform to work fine.

as i said, my students and myself are making often animations in BF/LC and the result is pretty decent.

ECV students made this video with combination of flythrough, BF/LC, and most of the time, IM(+DE)/LC. Result is insane. (They are kind of young genius..) was a pleasure to teach them Vray anim rendering.
vimeo.com/69297733

@Rich:
Vray 3.0 have nothing special about removing flickering, excpet it is optimised for BF/BF rendering. Another cool stuff in it is the "probabilistic lights" wich greatly helps to render faster when having lots of Vray lights in scene.
Also Embree Raycaster have been introduced (works only with static geometry at this stage). Itoffers a huge speedup in renderings as well.
Finally the "max ray intensity" helps removing fireflies on bruteforce renderings.
All these 3 options are managed in solidrocks since the 1.5 build.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by subburb.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds

Contact informations

Subburb

32, Rue theophile Gautier
33110 Le Bouscat
FRANCE

(+33) 6 73 03 72 29

Newsletter

Keep in touch with us

facebook_32 youtube_32 vimeo_32