Logo SR Alpha 2017

possible bug with VrayHdri map

More
11 years 2 months ago #4661 by rich0550
Been struggling a with something I think its linked to SR.

Put VRAYHDRI material (a large HDRI) in the enviroment and also in dome. Changing the overall multiplyier in the HDRI Map makes the viewport brightness go up and down, also changing the render multiplier makes the scene brighter as it should.

After rendering with SR and then closing SR after, changing the same settings no longer has any effect on the viewport, and no effect on the render. Something is blocking the viewport from updating the multiplier in the VRAYHDRI mat.

sliding a new instance to from the material slot to the enviroment and dome light will refresh and correct the problem but still changing the settings has no effect.

I think I have found SR is blocking this. Have I put in some setting in SR that is doing this? thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #4662 by subburb
Hello, are you using the Slate material editor to tweak your hdr map ?
If yes, good news, the incoming build will solve this problem ;)

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #4666 by rich0550
thanks for response I am using the compact material editor. not slate

Do you think it has anything to do with clicking/unclicking affect background, color clamping, subpixel, in the area in SR that adjusts for color correction/reinhard etc? I am wondering if SR is managing the background etc and locks out changes to the HDRImat in the material editor
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by rich0550.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #4721 by antanas
Hi , same thing here (max2012x64 design, vray 2.202 and SR 1.1.5) ,no slate mat editor used , instanced VrayHdri map for both vraydome's and enviroment's appropriate slots and after quick test render using SR I've got unlinked map for the enviroment while vraydome's map was still linked to that material slot . The map in enviroment still exists and keeps all of it's settings what were done before rendering but it looks like it is just got unlinked from material editor slot for some reason . That problem isn't specific for the same map instanced to both vraydome and enviroment - it happens in cases where different maps were used or as in my case same maps in different material editor slots with different gamma settings were used too . Been using that bertrand-benoit.com/blog/2010/02/27/on-hdr-lighting/ method - the only way you could get crisp shadows out of hdri . So it would be quite welcome If you could fix that , that problem appears only then I render using SR and not while using regular render, I've tested that for quite a few times with same results so hope that is fixable .

p.s - thought of it a bit more , in my case that happens when using Auto glossies and Auto VrayShadows subdivs and while I had not done tests with those off , I still suppose whose are the cause due to the way SR handles materials . Hope there is a way to exclude VrayHdri map from SR's operations or some other way - it's not that annoying and easily fixable until the next render when you expect that behavior but when you don't , that can cause a lot of frustrations for some users ...

Good Luck
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by antanas.

More
11 years 2 months ago #4743 by subburb
Thanks for feedback and explanations.
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with this process.

"Been using that bertrand-benoit.com/blog/2010/02/27/on-hdr-lighting/ method - the only way you could get crisp shadows out of hdri"

do you mean : forcing SR gamma correction to 1.0 or lower, right ?

trying to reproduce the issue at this moment. ;)

More
11 years 2 months ago #4744 by subburb
ok, just tested on max 2012 and max 2013, seems to work with Sr 1.2.1

as i've used different process for material/map parsing for avoid loosing links in slate editor, looks like it also solved this issue...
after some rendering ins SR, maps still have good behavior when changing multiplier in both Vray domelight and hdr map in enviro/mat editor.
If i close Sr, it stills continue to work.

would you please upgrade to 1.2.1 and have a test ride ?? (in download menu here on the website).

I'm impatient to have your answer !

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds

Contact informations

Subburb

32, Rue theophile Gautier
33110 Le Bouscat
FRANCE

(+33) 6 73 03 72 29

Newsletter

Keep in touch with us

facebook_32 youtube_32 vimeo_32